Monday, July 28, 2008

Life after Cambodia...

So I don't know if anyone even reads these still but I had some stuff on my heart and mind and even though it's almost midnight I had to get it out. Otherwise I'll never fall asleep!
First, I want to thank everyone who support me and the other girls on the team, whether that was financially or prayerfully or both. I can't even tell you how much that means to me. You helped make a life changing experience happen for us. I'm reminded of a conversation I had with my dear leaders only a few short months ago, shortly after spring break. I try not to think about it because it wasn't a proud moment for me, but it's amazing to see how far God has brought me and the whole team really since then. See, I asked them to meet me because I needed to talk to them about the trip. I wasn't sure if I was going to go - no money was coming in for me and we had our travel cost due in like one day. I was beginning to wonder if that was a sign that I shouldn't go. But they encouraged me and told me how sad they would be to see me leave the team and said they would do everything in their power to see that I can go, and they kept their word! Then God worked His miracles and brought in the money for our team, even more than we had expected! Funny how God works isn't it?
But that seems like forever ago. Now I've been there and I've come home and I have so many new thoughts and emotions and concerns. I feel like God is showing me the world with a totally different light now. And those girls at the center - those sweet, sweet girls...they've been on my mind almost constantly. I close my eyes and see their beautiful smiles, I hear a song and tell anyone who will listen (or even who won') how we danced to that song in Cambodia and the girls loved it, I try to sleep and can only think about the tight hugs or their gentle hands reaching for mine. People keep asking me if I changed anyone's life. I'm starting to hate that question because how can I know? But I do know that their lives changed my life. Their acceptance of me and the rest of the team was unlike any I've experienced before. I didn't need to do anything to prove myself, they just accepted me right away. If only we could all be more like that.
Anyway, that's nowhere near everything on my mind...I'm sure you'll hear it later ;) but my eyes are finally starting to feel too heavy to see what I'm typing. Believe me, tonight I'm not taking my comfortable bed in an air conditioned house for granted. I plan on sleeping very well tonight!
God be with you all!
Love,
Katie

1 comment:

Jenna said...

my sweet katie :), how i love you and your precious heart...

i see a lot of those things too. constantly. especially here in thailand, where things are so different but similar enough to make me catch myself almost speaking those simple khmai words we picked up... a "mun-aye-tay" to the man who stepped on my toe in the sky-tram, an "aw-kuhn" to the girl who poured my water at dinner, a "sa-aht" to the old lady selling thai silk on the side of the street... they almost slipped out of my mouth with such ease, it shocked me really. now that i'm getting used to thai again, i'm going to be one linguistically confused little girl by the time i get back home ;).

anyway, katie, i'm SO glad you wanted to talk to cassie and i that day... and i'm sooo glad God gave us the discernment to keep encouraging you to come :). i watched that trip transform you, and i watched your heart connect with those girls'. so rest assured, He will keep speaking to you about it...

and i am glad you're appreciating that nice air-conditioned sleep you'll be getting ;).


love you!

-jenna

The Trip