Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I know He restores

Hello all :)

Well it’s the last week and I’m so pleased. There is an excitement in change. We are recognizing how important these new relationships are to us and how much we’ve enjoyed being here, because soon we’ll be gone. But there is also an excitement of what’s going to happen when we get home. It may be hard to share at our churches and recount all the things that God did in our lives over the past month, but I want others to be aware of what God has taught me. It’s exciting to see how God has brought us closer to him, our team and our families while we’ve been in Cambodia.

Today we went and saw the killing fields. I would expect there to be big deserted fields with some brush and a few old dirty buildings. But the landscape was beautiful. There were tall gorgeous trees, green grass, flowers, butterflies, and dirt paths to take us through the outdoor memorial. But the area next to the grass was a deep hole, a mass grave that had been dug up. And next to the beautiful tree was a sign explaining how the “killing tree” was used to beat children. I can imagine a child desiring to climb that tree; anticipating the challenge of getting to the top. But instead these children were terrified of what would happen if they were taken to it.

A couple of days ago we visited what used to be a brothel. The downstairs had rows of rooms and the two rooms upstairs were used for the highest bidder and his virgin and video making. This building is now used for God’s purpose; to love the children in the area and provide medical treatment for the sick. But when I saw a little girl climbing the stairs I immediately wanted to tell her to come down from there. How fitting for a little virgin to be walking up those stairs. She does not belong up there. None of these women belong in those rooms, and none of the men do either. But God can restore what was once used for evil and where demons dwelled, to a place of healing and joy.

Our God is good all the time, and even when I see the devil working all around; I know that my God is bigger and better than anything the devil can do. He restores my soul.

With love,

Alisa

2 comments:

Kandice Stallcop said...

I am so excited for you all.
I am looking forward to your return and the wonderful stories I will get the priviledge of hearing.
I am praying that the Lord will do mighty things in your last few days there.
BLESSINGS, BLESSINGS!!!

Stacy Viss said...

Hey Beautiful ladies,
As you time is coming to a close, I know these next few weeks will in a way be harder than some of the weeks you have had in Cambodia. As Jenna said, the devil is going to try to defeat and discourage you but he does not have the power. I pray that for as smooth as adjustment as possible as you girls head back to your homes. I pray that you will not be quick to forget what God has taught you. (I am sure that is next to impossibe!) Keep that fire burning and pass it on!! Love you all!
Stacy

The Trip